Oral Cancer Screening
My office is not only dedicated to your smile, I am also dedicated to your overall wellness. I take a holistic approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like other kinds of cancer, oral cancer can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
I have the skills to identify the early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit my office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer.
I am pleased to say that I have diagnosed five patients with signs of early cancer. They were all treated and are doing well. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, a thickening, or a rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
I am trained in a simple, quick screening that involves an examination of your oral cavity as a whole, and not just your teeth, to detect cancerous and precancerous conditions.
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup at our office, there are many things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.